Addressing the key
of the 21st century
neurological, mental health
and substance use
disorders in Australia.
The Mindgardens Neuroscience Network
The Australian Comprehensive Brain Disorders Centre
The Mindgardens Neuroscience Network (Mindgardens) is an innovative organisation dedicated to clinical excellence, research and education in neurological, mental health and substance use disorders. Established in 2018, it brings together the strengths of four founding partner organisations: The Black Dog Institute, Neuroscience Research Australia, South Eastern Sydney Local Health District and UNSW Sydney to form the largest hub of scientists and clinicians working of the brain disorders in the southern hemisphere.
Neurological, mental health, and substance use disorders currently account for over 20 per cent of the burden of disease in Australia. Mindgardens’ vision is to bring together clinicians, scientists, consumers and the public to collaborate, develop and implement innovative solutions and new models of care in three critical health categories: ageing and neurodegeneration; mental health; and drugs and alcohol.
What are the aims of Mindgardens? Our aim is to become a leading global centre for innovation in brain disorder healthcare. Our approach will help afford all Australians the best quality of life possible. Given the burden of disease, both current and projected, world-leading change in healthcare practice is urgently needed. Radical action is required to make this change happen. To achieve this, Mindgardens will have clear and achievable KPIs. Progress from 2019-2028 will be measured by:
- Improvement in survival and benchmarked, measured patient outcomes
- Demonstrated clinically and cost-effective models of care that can be scaled
- Reduced clinical variation in best-practice indicators and improved research
- Minimisation of avoidable emergency presentations
- Improved capacity building across research, clinicial and peer workforces
- Transparent dissemination of key findings to promote system-wide change
- Demonstrable use of linked health data to improve care more rapidly
- Full participation of consumers in all levels of the Mindgardens activity